Saying he acted in "self defense", the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office rejected the murder case of a 25--year-old man who had been arrested in connection with the shootings on Figueroa Street last Friday that left three adults dead.
Anthony Alonzo Cudger, who was wounded in the car-to-car shooting that killed two of his friends and the alleged attacker, was released from custody Tuesday evening after being arrested Saturday morning and held on $1 million bail.
Wednesday afternoon the District Attorney's office released the following statement: "Regarding Anthony Alonzo Cudger, a case was reviewed for filing consideration yesterday, but was declined because the investigation found that Cudger acted in self defense."
Street sources said Cudger, Aveion Curtis Bolden, Jacinta Walker, and an unidentified female driver were parked in a silver Toyota Camry on Figueroa and 87th Street, about to head out to the movies, when a red Nissan Altima pulled up and the passenger started shooting.
Bolden, 20, and his girlfriend Walker, 18 were killed in the backseat and Cudger, sitting in the front passenger seat, was wounded in the shoulder. Cudger returned fire, striking the shooter, Trevor Andre Williams, 33.
The driver of the Nissan sped away and either he or another person took Williams to the L.A. City Fire Department Station #64 on 108th and Main streets to seek medical attention.. Williams either died en route or at the fire station.
The shootings are part of the ongoing street war between the Hoover Street Criminals and the Main Street Crips.
The LAPD was disappointed Cudger was not charged.
"Of course it upsets us," said Det. Sal LaBarbera of LAPD' South Bureau Criminal Gang Homicide Division. "It tells the gang members it's OK to be armed, it's OK to shoot it out with each other and there are no consequences. They are back on the street to do it again, to be either suspects or victims., let alone have an innocent person caught up in this."
LaBarbera said the LAPD is "Seeking everyone and anyone involved in this."
To read more:
March 7, 2014 "Hoover vs. Main Street Shootings Recall "Bad Old Days"
March 11, 2014 "LAPD Tactics Working: No Hoover Vs. Main Street Paybacks" (NOTE: Accurate at the time)
March 20, 2014 "Eight Trey Hoover Dies 2 Week After Being Shot"
June, 2, 2014 "Nut" From Main Street Gunned Down Monday Morning"
June 14, 2014 "Stop This Madness" A Mother Pleads As 3 More Are KIilled in South L.A."