Saturday afternoon at Chi Spacca, during the preview of Pizzette, Nancy Silverton and Kirsten Mayell’s new venture in a Culver City food court set to open late Fall, legendary local wine professional Gary Alan - or is that Alan Gary? - came up to me and said “This is the best restaurant in Los Angeles.”
He was, of course, referring to Chi - or chi - Spacca. He is not alone in that opinion. Many people, including - occasionally - Nancy Silverton herself, have told me that.
Then why, when the Michelin Guide returned in June after a decade long absence, was Spacca shut out? Nothing. No stars. The reasons, officailly, are not being released. However, a joint investigative team from the Washinton Post ;and Krikorain Writes has just unveiled the top 10 reasons Spacca did not receive a Michelin star.
10. Michelin inspectors could not get a reservation.
9. One of the inspectors, Francois Geronimo, a descendant of the legendary Apache chief, felt extreme nervousnes by “Tomahawk” menu offering.
8. Another inspector, about to award a star, took it away in the confusion over “chi” or “Chi”. “Is it capped or not? Is it Spacca or SPACCA? Get your name spelling together and maybe get the star.”
7. An inspector felt sous chef Joe Tagorda was “Hurtful”
6. Michelin inspectors too busy staring at Eva to notice the food.
5. One inspector said “Food was clearly two Michelin stars, but view of Circle K bummed me out.”
4. Another inspector said “About to award a star, but was seated at table 33 and homeless man urinating outside revolted my taste buds..”
3. Inspector Jamal Adid Mohammad said “I didn’t like the fact some guy named Jesus was cooking my food.”
2. Chief Michelin Inspector Pierre SuSway told the Post and Writes “Truth? I called Nancy up to tell her we were going to award Chi SPACCA with the first ever three stars in L.A . And you know what she said? She said ‘Don’t do that. Don’t give me any stars for Spacca. If Spacca got three stars, Ryan’s head would get so big he’d go back to wearing that damn Dodgers cap in the dining room.”
1. And the number one reason Chi Spacca did not get a Michelin star?
Michelin Guide was paid $600,000 by Chad Colby and his wife NOT to give Spacca star.